No matter if it is an office, home, or a professional work site, snap ring pliers are always needed in the mechanical work. What if you have bought a new machine for your household, you need to assemble the machine and the machine has circlip and snap rings? Here is when you realise you need snap ring pliers for your home tool box. People involved in mechanics and technical tasks also need the best snap pliers of different sizes for accomplishing the work. Snap pliers not only makes your task super easy but saves you time as well.
Professional people spend huge amounts buying snap ring pliers for their mechanical and technical works. As pliers come in different sizes and styles, we would suggest getting the most common sizes for your tool box. And in this article, you will find a list of best snap ring pliers.
- 1 Top 7 Best Snap Ring Pliers in 2022
- 1.1 1. Channellock 8-Inch Retaining Snap Ring Pliers
- 1.2 2. Lang Tools 12-Piece Internal/External Snap Ring Pliers Set
- 1.3 3. IRWIN VISE GRIP Convertible Snap Pliers
- 1.4 4. KNIPEX Tools Precision Circlip Snap Ring Pliers 8-Piece Set
- 1.5 5. Astro Pneumatic 13″ Large Internal/External Snap Ring Pliers
- 1.6 6. Neiko Heavy Duty 16″ Snap Ring Plier Set
- 1.7 7. GearWrench12 Pc. Convertible Snap Ring Plier Set
- 2 Complete Buying Guide For Best Snap Ring Pliers
- 3 Types of Snap Ring Pliers
- 4 Internal vs. External Snap Ring Pliers:
- 5 How to Use Snap Ring Pliers?
- 6 FAQ
- 7 Conclusion
Top 7 Best Snap Ring Pliers in 2022
Getting your best snap ring pliers is the need of the hour. No matter if you are a professional DIYer you will always need pliers for finishing your task. These pliers come with different sizes that can ease up your work and effort.
1. Channellock 8-Inch Retaining Snap Ring Pliers
- Leading Manufacturer Of High-Quality Products
- International Renown For Our Diverse Range Of Award-Winning...
- Fully Equipped With State-Of-The-Art Technology
- All Products Have Been Designed With The Professional In Mind
- Constantly Modernizing Our Powerful Devices To Meet The Demands...
- External 1/4, 2″
- Internal 3/8, 2″
- Straight 0.039, 0.047, 0.074
- Angled 0.039, 0.047 90i
- The Channellock circlip pliers come with a great design and a heavy duty return spring.
- A tiny red switch helps it in converting from external to internal use.
- The retaining pliers are heat treated when it comes to durability.
- The handle is comfortable and is covered with rubber like plastic for a good grip.
- Capacity of the pliers is enough for all kinds of jobs.
- It comes with 5 interchangeable color coded tips.
- Length of the pliers is 8 inches, the length of the jaw is 1.6 inches, the thickness of the jaw is 0.97 inches and the width of the handle is 4.85 inches.
- The weight of the player is 9 Oz.
- They are perfectly designed for reaching the non-recessed areas 10 they are perfect for heavy duty tasks.
If you are looking for durable and versatile ring pliers then you are at the right product. Made in Meadville, this magnificent retaining ring pliers comes with 5 interchangeable tips. You will get enough types of tips either they are angled or straight for your all types of projects. The angled shall help you at the space you cannot directly reach and the straight ones will help you in master cylinders.
You are not only going to get two sets of screws but also the most versatile feature is that you can easily switch between external and internal use. For changing between internal and external use you get a tiny red switch that makes it extremely easy. You just need to push it left or right depending on your task of removing external or internal rings.
For the removal of pliers smoothly and nicely the spring is going to help a lot and give a very pleasant feel. You might feel the spring heavy but it helps the pliers to return back to the default shape.
The design of the plier is ergonomic. The grips are beautifully shaped for the comfort of the human hand. They are covered with rubber like non slippery plastic.
- Long lasting
- Designed for non assessable areas
- Might feel bulky for Portable jobs
2. Lang Tools 12-Piece Internal/External Snap Ring Pliers Set
- Pliers have a knurled center screw with spring for easy changing...
- Features 0. 038", 0. 047", 0. 070", 0. 090" tip diameters in...
- Comfort grip made of low-temp, high-impact material providing...
- Packaged in a plastic blow molded case for protection and easy...
- Straight 0.038, 0.047, 0.070, 0.090″
- Angled 45, 90°
- This snap ring pliers set has the most popular tip sizes
- Comes with both angled and straight tips
- Comfortable grip of high impact material
- Comes with a spring and a center screw helping in changing easily
- Packed in a plastic blow molded case that acting and is easy to carry
- Economic in price
The most hectic thing is to get pliers one by one and hold them in one place. But what if you get them in a set? Lang tools 12-piece fixed tip has solved your problem. This is a versatile tool set that is perfectly made for you. The multiple pliers available are very helpful for external and internal ring installation and for removing the projects.
The coolest thing is that the pieces are convertible. Every piece has a spring washer and a centre screw that helps in converting without any effort. For completing a wide range of projects, the angles 90 degree and 45 degrees are included.
Unlike other pliers with the grips that become worn with the passage of time, Lang tools won’t give you these issues. The grips are high impact and low temperature. The gripes are very comfortable to use and give a nice feel to the hands.
- High Quality
- The tip might not be comfortable against a wall or frame
3. IRWIN VISE GRIP Convertible Snap Pliers
- For internal and external use, eliminating the need for 2 sets of...
- Includes four interchangeable tips for ease in moving from one...
- ProTouch grips provide extra comfort for less hand fatigue
- Durably constructed for a long life.Jaw Length:6.5 inches. Jaw...
- 1 pair of IRWIN VISE-GRIP snap ring pliers replaces 2 for...
- Snap ring 6, 1/2 inch
- It is usable for external and internal task
- Handles are comfortable
- Comes with for interchangeable tips
- The jaw thickness is 1 inch
- The width of the jaw is 1-7/20 inches
- The length of the jaw is 6.5 inches
- Weight of the pliers is 8 Oz
Won’t you like it if you get both internal and external circlip in one plier? IRWIN comes with a built-in lever that helps in changing from external to internal use. This is going to be economical enough for you not buying two different pairs for internal and external use.
One of the best features is the handles that you are going to love. The handles are covered with plastic material that will be very comfortable for your hands. The additional 4 tips both straight and angled are going to be very helpful for you in different types of projects.
- Comfortable for hands
- Easily interchangeable
- Difference in jaw teeth sizes
- Suitable for small tasks only
4. KNIPEX Tools Precision Circlip Snap Ring Pliers 8-Piece Set
- Eight of Knipex best selling Precision circlip pliers in one kit...
- Heavy duty for continuous operation - up to 10 times longer...
- Tips are made of high-density spring steel and offer a high level...
- Contains Internal Circlip Pliers: 48 11 J1, 48 11 J2, 48 21 J11,...
- Contains External Circlip Pliers: 49 11 A1, 49 11 A2, 49 21 A11,...
- Internal 48 11 J1, 48 11 J11, 48 11 J2, 48 11 J21
- External 49 11 A1, 49 11 A11, 49 11 A2, 49 11 A21
- Angled 90°
- 4 straight and 4 angled pliers
- Comes along with Interchangeable tips
- The set is manufactured from Chrome vanadium Steel material
- Comes in a sturdy packaging that makes it is easy to carry and store
- Tip made up of solid
- Non slippery plastic grips help in comfort and insulation
If we say you can get a good quality snap ring pliers in a very good amount then how would that sound to you? Would you prefer buying 30 to 40$ low quality pliers again and again or would you like to invest some extra money for a tool that stays with you for lifetime?
Knipex snap ring pliers is a heavy-duty pliers set that comes with 8 pieces of pliers. These are not ordinary pliers that will break after a few operations; you can use them for lifetime. There are four straight and four angled jaws pliers in the set. This versatility is going to help you to complete different types of projects.
These pliers are designed for both internal and external ring removal. Different type diameters will help you in operating both big and small circlips.
- Good storage
- Grooved tips
5. Astro Pneumatic 13″ Large Internal/External Snap Ring Pliers
- Includes Internal and External straight and 90 degree bent pliers...
- Made of hardened Chrome Vanadium
- Black & Polished Finish with Dipped, Non-Slip Handles
- Professional fit and finish
- 13” long pliers, 0.90” (2.3mm) tip size
- Internal 90°
- External 90°
- Professional finish and fit
- Made up of heavy Chrome vanadium
- Strong grip handles non slippery, black, and polished
- Comes with both external and internal tips
- Length of the pliers is 13 inches
- The width of the pliers is 6 inches
- The weight of the pliers is 4.08 pounds
What about getting extra-large snap ring pliers 4 pieces set just in 40 to 45 dollars? It sounds very economical, doesn’t it? Astro pneumatic 13-inch 4-piece set is a much-budgeted snap ring pliers that you would love to add in your hand tools.
You will notice that pliers of very good quality and high prices are made up of Chrome vanadium but this economical set is made up of Chrome vanadium at a very good price. You will also find out the handles are made up of non-slippery material with polished finish. You will love adding this into your tool set and will find each piece worth the money spent.
- Good quality
- Long lasting
- Comfortable grip
- Snap ring might get snapped off
6. Neiko Heavy Duty 16″ Snap Ring Plier Set
- Includes both internal and external snap ring pliers for snap...
- Uses a spring ratchet locking mechanism to securely hold against...
- Interchangeable tips and frame are made with hardened, heat...
- Comes with straight tips attached and includes 4 quick-change...
- Specs: spread: 3-1/4"; Tip sizes: 0.12"; Internal pliers...
- Snap ring tips 2 – 45°, 2 – 90°
- Internal 3 – 1/6″, 6 – 1/4″
- External 3 – 1/2″, 6 – 1/2″
- Spread 3 – 1/4″
- Comes with both internal and external snap rings
- Interchangeable frame and tips
- Comfortable strong non slippery handles
- The weight of the pliers is 7.04 pounds
- The length of the pliers is 17.3 2 inches
- The width of the pliers is 13.39 inches
- Carry case included
If you are looking for design, quality, function, and strong snap ring pliers’ brand and the price too is cut off to the cost then Neiko is the right choice. Neiko has been manufacturing tools for more than 20 years and is one of the most recognisable tool creators around the globe.
These snap ring pliers come in both external and internal so it is helpful for the snap rings around a shaft or inside a bore. The tips are also interchangeable that makes the job easy and durable. For your convenience the case is also added in the set that helps in storage and is very handy to transport.
- Long lasting
- Easy to carry
- Might feel slippery on the tip
7. GearWrench12 Pc. Convertible Snap Ring Plier Set
- 12-piece snap ring pliers set removes and installs either...
- Remove and install internal and external snap rings
- Fixed tips for everyday professional use
- Straight jaws for deeper access and 45° & 90° jaws for...
- Comfort grip handles to reduce user hand fatigue
- Straight 90°
- Angled 45, 90°
- Made up of alloy Steel
- External or internal snap rings for versatile tasks
- 12 pieces snap ring pliers
- Fixed tips for professional snap ring pliers use
- Comfortable grip for reducing hand fatigue
- For organization and storage comes along with a mold case
- Weight of the product is 5.15 pounds
- The length of the product is 12.3 inches
Do you want a broad range of retaining and snapping pliers with most common sizes of the tip then this is your product? This set has all internal, external, and, convertible ring pliers’ styles with replaceable and fixed tips. You can get these 12 pieces of versatile sets for just 130 – 137$.
If you want a tool for your professional use, then this set is designed for a snap ring plier’s heavy duty packed in a convenient plastic case. Not only this but also the set comes with a lifetime warranty. GEARWRENCH has been working since 1996 and has delivered more than hundred million tools by 2002.
- Plastic handle might not last long
Complete Buying Guide For Best Snap Ring Pliers
No matter if you are a professional or a DIYer you will always come across different maintenance tasks for example, electrical tools, Motors, vehicles etc, for all of these tasks snap pliers is the best thing to buy. There are many features that should be considered while buying these handy pliers and here is a complete guide that will help you in choosing the right tool.
If you are looking for a plier that does not lose grip, does not bend and lasts longer than a fixed tip is better than interchangeable tip pliers. If the requirement of your occupation is to have a snap ring pliers, then do choose a fixed tip set. It will not only be handy but will save a lot of time.
Most of the people give a review that interchangeable tips easily break and bend. They are also not much handy in Automotive Work. Always go for a tool set that is made from corrosion resistant material with a lifetime warranty that will bring peace to your mind.
Before buying the snap ring pliers always think first about the work and the frequency of using it. It is better to buy an ergonomically designed handle because hand fatigue can slow the process. Always make sure that the tool is going to perform the task for which you need it. Is it open or close enough for removing and installing the snap rings? It is good enough for fitting into the tight space.
Size of snap ring pliers
With every snap ring pliers, circlip of different diameters come along. They are determined by the spread of the Jaws. Before buying the snapping pliers always keep in mind the size of the rings you want pliers to work with. Then buy the pliers according to the sizes of the rings.
But if you are not sure about the sizes of the ring then always buy a snap ring pliers set that comes along with different ranges of size. You can check different pliers in the list of products we have mentioned above.
If you are working with the hydraulic or transmission system you will come across the rings that are hidden in depth. If you come across such a scenario then a long nose pair of players is the only tool that will work. But in different cases you might need a straight up or angled pliers.
So you need to consider the position of the Ring before buying ring pliers then only you can get the appropriate tool for the right task. You can buy straight angled long styles. You can also buy single snap ring pliers or in a set.
Strength of the pliers
The material used is the chief factor of the strength of the pliers. If you want pliers with good strength then look for chromium vanadium or Stainless-Steel body. The heavy-duty construction helps the pliers to withstand any kind of pressure excellently. Pliers made up of good materials last for long and won’t break in continuous operation.
Not only the body but the tip should also be considered and make sure you buy the pliers with a heavy-duty tip.
Don’t forget the handles. The handle should be covered with tough rubber so that the insulating material won’t hurt the hands and will last long. And also remember the grip should be attached properly so that they don’t come in your hands while you are doing some operation.
Always remember the quality of the product matters more than the price. You can either buy cheap and low-quality products and waste your money because they will continue breaking and bending again and again or you can purchase a good quality product with a slightly higher price and it will last for long. Investing in good quality products will pay you back for a longer time.
And also, instead of buying best snap ring pliers we always recommend going for a set. Dinner sets with slightly higher prices will get rings of different sizes and it will be a complete set of tools. So, you won’t have to get different sizes of pliers separately.
Types of Snap Ring Pliers
Basically, there are two types of Snap ring plier’s internal retaining rings and external retaining rings. These types come with different features and that can help in sorting them out. Below is the list of types of pliers you will get in the market.
External Retaining Pliers
When the retaining ring fits the shaft, it is known as external retaining rings. That is why the purpose of these pliers is to remove and install. You can distinguish these pliers by the way they work. For opening the jaws, you need to close the handle and for closing the Jaws you need to open the handle.
Internal Retaining Pliers
When the snap rings sit inside the bore, they are known as internal retaining rings. This is how these pliers operate. They work like regular pliers for example, when you close the jaws, you close the handle when you open the jaws you open the handles.
Reversible Snap Ring Pliers
They are also known as adjustable or convertible snap ring pliers. They are versatile and their operation can be changed between external and internal. For the convenience some handy models also come along with the lever that pushes to the left or right for changing the operation.
Another type of reversible pliers has bolts that need to be opened and screwed in the holes. You can say that they have two different parts that are separated and then re-joined for changing between external and internal.
These pliers have bent tips. Mostly the angle is between 45 to 90% of the bent and you can get other angles too. If the circlip is in a tight space and you are not able to remove it with a straight tip then angled tips are very useful.
As the name shows, the tips of these pliers are straight. These are helpful for reaching to a shaft for removing or installing a snap ring.
If you see a retaining ring with bent and long jaws then it is a long nose. The length between the bent and the tip is long. Long nose can come handy in assessing a ring in the master cylinder or a place that is confined. Long nose is a very handy tool.
Internal vs. External Snap Ring Pliers:
Internal Snap Ring Pliers
- These pliers are designed to fit in both Imperial and metric sizes.
- They are resistant to corrosion.
- They are durable and serve long.
- They offer high performance.
- They are both in custom and standard sizes.
- These rings are used in heavy machine manufacturing.
- They are made of spring Steel of 70C6 or 75C6 grade with IS specification of 2507-1975.
- The thickness of the internal snap rings ranges between 0.4mm to 6mm and the outer diameter ranges between 8 to 500 mm.
External Snap Ring Pliers
- These players can easily fit around the shaft and are available in both Imperial and metric sizes.
- Used in replacing nuts, set collars, cotter pins, machine shoulders, and extensive fastening devices.
- Their outer diameter ranges from 6mm to 500mm and thickness ranges from 0.4 to 6 mm.
- The speedy disassembly and assembly help in lowering manufacturing costs.
How to Use Snap Ring Pliers?
Snap ring pliers are used to insert and remove internal or external circlips. But the most important thing is the procedure of using the snap ring pliers. Here are three easy steps that can help you in using them correctly.
Insert the snap ring plier’s tip into the hole of the circlip to install.
Once the pliers are placed correctly start reducing the size of the circlip by closing the handles. Avoid squeezing for not damaging the circlip permanently. It is enough to squeeze to the size enough to fit in the bore.
Once reduced to the necessary size, keep holding for maintaining the size and then insert into the groove. Make sure it sticks properly into the place.
What is the use of snap ring pliers?
It is a tool used for the removal and installation of snap rings. They are differently designed as compared to pliers as they are used for handling snap rings only.
Name the best snap ring pliers?
Different brands manufacture snap ring pliers but few of them are high quality and economical for your pocket. The snap rings made by ChannelLock, Lang, IRWIN, GERAWRENCH, Neiko are well known products. They are made up of good quality material and are comfortable for your hands as well.
Do snap ring pliers come in different sizes?
Yes, they come in different sizes according to the diameter of the snap ring. First, we need to know what the size of a snap ring is. The diameter of the snap ring is from the internal of one side to the external of the other. Thus, according to these sizes, the size of snap ring pliers is determined. They come in sizes like, 0.038 inches, 0.047 inches, 0.070 inches, straight 45 and 90 degrees etc.
Can you please tell the difference between retaining and snap ring pliers?
The use of retaining pliers is different from snap ring pliers. Basically, retaining ring pliers are used in machines for holding the components on the shaft thus they provide an efficient and secure way of fastening the parts of machines together. Whereas snap ring pliers have a hole in each side of the end and they help in removing and installing snap rings.
Is there an alternative for snap ring pliers?
Yes, you can use needle nose pliers if you don’t have snap ring pliers. With the help of some other minor tool, you can successfully complete the job.
If you are looking for handy and economical tools for your toolbox then best snap ring pliers are a perfect addition. Pliers made up of chrome vanadium and steel are not only very strong and durable but also they serve for long. Brands like ChannelLock, KNIPEX, GEARWRENCH etc, manufacture pliers with comfortable grips. For a complete understanding of the product and features you need to look in a tool to buy, buying guides can help you better.