No matter if you’re a professional painter or an on-demand one, the task of painting a wall or similar subjects should be taken with utter seriousness.
The reason behind is simple. Even a single override of paint layers or unfinished edges might turn it look so poor that you’d regret even doing it in the first place.
But as long as you’ve managed to land on this page, you’re not going to be among those who’ll regret it. We’ve collected an array of best painters tape in the market and explained the ‘whats’ and ‘whys’ for you.
- 1 Why Having Good Quality Painters Tape Is Important?
- 2 Top 6 Best Painters Tape Reviews
- 2.1 1. Scotch Painter’s Tape 2090-48EVP
- 2.2 2. Duck Clean Release Blue Painter’s Tape
- 2.3 3. XFasten Professional Blue Painters Tape
- 2.4 4. FROGTAPE 1358463 Multi-Surface Painter’s Tape
- 2.5 5. AmazonBasics Painters Tape
- 2.6 6. GripBlue Blue Painters Tape
- 2.7 BONUS: TradeGear Colored Masking Tape
- 3 Buyer’s Guide of Best Painters Tape
- 4 How to Mask Before Painting
- 5 3 Mistakes to Avoid When Painting a Room
- 6 FAQ
- 7 Bottom Line
Why Having Good Quality Painters Tape Is Important?
We assume that many of us already know the answer well. But for those who don’t here goes 5 of the core benefits of having a good quality masking tape-
- To keep the painting edges razor-sharp.
- To create texture and variety in design on decorative projects.
- Masking the surface without damaging it anyway.
- To protect the unpainted area from UV and sunlight.
- To make home and automobile remodeling easy.
Top 6 Best Painters Tape Reviews
Based on some of the core factors (paper quality, adhesiveness, thickness variety, protection & durability), we’ve picked top 6 best tapes for painting. From now on, it’s going to be the unbiased reviews of each of them-
1. Scotch Painter’s Tape 2090-48EVP
- Designed for use on multiple surfaces such as smooth or lightly...
- 14-day clean removal leaves behind no damage or sticky residue
- Medium adhesive
- UV and sunlight resistant
- Size: 1.88 in. x 60 yd.
When it’s about detailing in the paintwork, a painter like you would love to go as precisely as possible, right? Well, if you’ve been in search of a handful of width options to choose from a bunch of painter’s tapes, the wait is over with the 2090-48EVP of Scotch Painter’s Tape.
Let’s start with this tape’s ability to stick on a variety of surface types. With the neither-so-strong, not-so-weak adhesiveness, it can be applied on walls, glass, tiles, porcelain, and so on. Other interior surfaces like hardwood, countertop, marble, caulk- these are also good to go.
Even if the surfaces come with detailed texture, you can adjust accordingly. In the case of drywall painting, the painting has to be done 5-7 days before the tape is put on it.
Just in case, you can keep the tape on for up to 14 days, which is remarkable. In case of exterior projects (exposed to sunlight) the timespan will be trimmed down into 7 days. But throughout those 7 days, it will provide the subject with protection against UV and sunlight.
Once done with the application, the removal of the tape will be smooth and residue-free. You’ve to be careful about the smoothness of removal though.
2. Duck Clean Release Blue Painter’s Tape
- Ideal for a variety of surfaces including painted walls, trim,...
- UV-resistant for safe use on indoor and outdoor projects
- 14-day clean removal without residue, in indirect or no sunlight
- Medium adhesion tape offers good quick-stick with easy removal
- Available in a variety of sizes
The next pick of our list of best painting tape is about dealing with massive home makeover projects. In here, you got to focus on getting the painting right instead of being precise with the details. On that note, this 2” wide Duck Clean Release Blue Painter’s Tape will be the right pick for you.
The surfaces that you can go with this tape are- trim, glass, wall(painted), metal, and wood. This mostly covers all of the usual home remodeling schemes. On any of these surfaces, the tape will stick to its place for up to 14 days.
Just like any good tapes, the adhesiveness is kept as medium. Therefore, covering the surfaces and taking it from them- both will be easy-to-do chores. For outdoor, we can simplify this equally.
To finish up the list, we’d like to bring the price-effectiveness of this tape on the podium. Usually, tapes as wide as this don’t come under a two-digit price point. But this seems to be a pretty fine exception. Thanks for Duck- the manufacturer.
3. XFasten Professional Blue Painters Tape
- Efficiently prevents paint bleeding and delivers sharp paint...
- For delicate surfaces like wood trim, textured walls, smooth...
- Stays up to 60 days, can be exposed to direct sunlight and other...
- Does not cause surface damage on delicate finishes and is...
- Comes off the roll and unwinds easily, does not curl...
No matter if you’re painting on home or on automobiles, it’s a must to keep those edges sharp and residue-free. Especially, when it’s a complex makeover, attention to detail is all a painter is supposed to stick to. To enable you with the fullest potential, the XFasten Professional Blue Painters Tape can be the right shot.
It’s a 60 yards long roll of ¾ thickness, and there are 3 tapes in this pack. Two other sizes of 1.5” and 2” are also available. If you’re looking forward to somewhat artist’s tape-like detailing, this will be the same tool within a far shorter price point. Even if the subject is canvas or paper, it will be a mildly affecting tape on those as well.
On the other hand, if the surface is as delicate as wood trim, walls with texture, metal, porcelain, glass etc, it will be a perfect tape to paint with. Even if you have to keep the tape stuck to the surface for several days, the 60-days durability will be by your side.
Once you are done with all the details, the tape will be easily removable. No damage on either the surface or the paintwork will be noticed in any way.
4. FROGTAPE 1358463 Multi-Surface Painter’s Tape
- Pro Painter's Tape, . 94 inch x 60 yard roll
- Twenty one day interior clean release, or up to 7 days if paint...
- Medium adhesion for use on cured painted walls, wood trim, glass...
- Patented Paint Block technology keeps paint out and lines sharp
- WATCH THE VIDEO for best application and use techniques
Most of the painters complain that the so-called best tape for painting isn’t as separate-prone as they claim. Guess what, the FROGTAPE 1358463 has put a straight end to this with its patented feature.
The biggest USP of this tape for painting walls is the patented Paint Block Technology. What it does is- it keeps the paint entering into the covered area even to the smallest extent. Result? You’ll have the sharpest and finest lines between the painted and unpainted areas.
If the remodeling takes several days, this tape can stick to its place for up to 21 days. If the subject is under sunlight, it has to be trimmed to 7 days, however.
To keep things gentle on the sensitive paintwork, the adhesiveness of this tape is kept as medium. This is a great thing when it comes to quickly releasing the tape without reaching even the slightest of distortion to the paint itself.
About the size, this roll of paint is 0.94” wide, and the length is 60 yards, which is the industry standard. In case you’re looking for more coverage, you can go with the 2-pack offer they come up with.
5. AmazonBasics Painters Tape
- 6-pack of indoor painter's tape helps protect walls, trim, and...
- Made of blue crepe paper with an acrylic-adhesive back for secure...
- UV-resistant and sunlight-resistant, the tape can be applied on...
- Can be safely removed up to 14 days—will not damage surfaces or...
- Measures 1.88 inches by 180 feet when unrolled; backed by an...
The infamous Amazonbasics had kept us wondering since Sept, 2009. This time, it’s the AmazonBasics Painters Tape that we’re going to talk about.
At first glance, AmazonBasics Painters Tape stands to be a 1.88” wide, 180’ long one. The core material is blue-colored crepe paper, combined with an acrylic adhesive which is good enough for sticking to various surfaces.
Assuming that many of the painters will use it for outdoor painting chores, the material is made to be UV-resistant under sunlight. In such a state, you can keep it where it is for up to 14 days.
As acrylic adhesive creates a complete seal between the tape itself and the surface, there is no chance of residual paint or dull edges once you take this tape off.
The usage is mostly for walls, although home interiors are also a suitable chore to do with this. As there are 6 rolls of 1.88” thickness in each, it can take care of heavy-duty painting projects for entire home remodeling or so.
6. GripBlue Blue Painters Tape
- CLEAN AND SHARP PAINT LINES - GRIPBLUE Painter’s Tape will help...
- NO RESIDUE, LAB TESTED - GRIPBLUE Painter’s Tape has been Lab...
- ULTRAVIOLET RESISTANT - GRIPBLUE Painter’s Tape is UV...
- MULTIPURPOSE TAPE FOR ALL YOUR NEEDS - GRIPBLUE Painter’s Tape...
- SAVE MONEY AND BUY IN BULK - GRIPBLUE Painter’s Tape has been...
If there is a sweet spot between fine detailing and massive takeovers in the business of painting, the GripBlue Blue Painters Tape lies within that exact spot. This is a 1.88” wide set of tapes that works fine on a handful of surfaces.
For projects that involve painting, trimming, masking, edging, and mere protection of surfacers, this painter’s tape is the ideal one to go for. It brings on a perfect balance among durability, strength, and flexibility.
The paper is the infamous crepe paper, associated with a mild level of adhesiveness. So, it’d be easy to apply and remove for sure.
Usually, it lasted well for 14 days on indoor surfaces. Within the temperature range of 40-130 degrees, it provides the best service as the best tape for painting lines. Although, it’s not a great tape to use under projects exposed to sunlight.
BONUS: TradeGear Colored Masking Tape
- IDEAL FOR MULTIPLE USES: Our rainbow kraft paper tape is just...
- EASY TO STICK & REMOVE: The high-quality adhesive on these...
- GREAT VALUE FOR MONEY: Every purchase you make gets you 7 colored...
- FUN SUPPLIES FOR KIDS: Let your children have endless fun with...
- PREMIUM QUALITY: Our tapes are made of high-quality material....
All of the previous tapes that we’ve mentioned are more of a single-color painter’s tape rather than masking tapes. But if you want both with a blend of colors, the TradeGear Colored Masking Tape is the one.
This tape is ideal as a decorative tape, while it reaches no damages to even the most sensitive of the surfaces. Starting from DIY enthusiasts to kids, this suits right in for every masking purpose.
The tape is available in 7 colors, and all of them come as a pack which is very cost-effective as well. Projects that relate to labeling, color coding, artworks, room decoration, etc, can be well suited with TradeGear Colored Masking Tape. But it’s not the right one for home renovation projects because of the paper type.
Buyer’s Guide of Best Painters Tape
Painter’s tape might seem to be a small, harmless tool for a painter. But if you put the wrong one into use, it can mess up the entire remodeling/painting project of yours.
Therefore, go through our extensive buyer’s guide to get the right painter’s tape for your purpose-
Yeah, you’ve guessed it right. The #1 buying factor comes to be the right width for the right project. In the market, there are tapes available which are as thin as ½” to as wide as 3”.
Based on how much detailing you want in your paint, you’ve to get with the width choice. For the best-case scenario, it’s wise to keep a few variations by hand.
The Tape-Surface Compatibility
Not all kinds of tapes can stick well on all kinds of surfaces. For some of them, the options of surfaces are really rich. On the other hand, there are tapes that can stick to only a few kinds of surfaces.
As it comes in description, we urge you to check that well before you go.
The Lifespan and Protection
Most of the tape manufacturers claim their tapes to be there for 14-40 days. But it’s not always true what they claim.
Therefore, you should check the facts from real-time users. Keep in mind that, for outdoor use, the lifespan should be way less than indoor uses. But it’s imperative that the tape provides protection from UV and sunlight while kept outdoor.
This is quite a flexible buying factor if we take modern painter’s tapes into concern. Because most of the manufacturers can let you pick tapes as long as you want. But when bought in, the overall cost is reduced to a significant level.
However, going for excessive lengths is always a waste of money.
How to Mask Before Painting
Assuming that you’re going to paint your project after getting the best paint tape for the job, here goes our intuitive guidance on how to mask with the tape before painting-
- Clean up the surface by wiping off the dust, debris, and any similar contaminants that stick on the surface. Take care of wet and oily substances as well.
- Take enough time for the surface to dry off completely.
- In case you want to speed up the process, you can use a painter’s tape applicator on the surface. It will make the surface masking-ready.
- To protect the floor area, drop a cloth/kraft paper on the floor near the wall.
- Use masking tape to cover things that you cannot take off, i.e. hardware, wall-mounted utility, circuit boards, switchboards, etc.
- If there is any window, use the painter’s tape or masking tape to mask the window glasses as well.
All done, you’re ready to go to the painting phase securing proper masking of the wall (or whatever surface you’re up to). While done, dry them off and undo everything you’ve done in the masking phase.
3 Mistakes to Avoid When Painting a Room
It’s funny that even experienced painters sometimes overlook one or two things that they shouldn’t. To make sure you don’t regret doing this, here’s a list of common mistakes people does while painting a room –
Making the Wrong Choice in Painters Tape vs Masking Tape
The pre-painting stage involves masking the wall and ceiling. Both masking tape and painter’s tape have their roles to play in this. One of the common mistakes is to skip getting a quality painters tape and trying to do it all with the masking tape only.
Avoiding The Primer
To make your wall (which is full of uneven parts on micro-level) smooth and ready for the paint, primers are a must. If you want to cut costs by cutting the primer loose, this is going to impact the overall finish quality of the painting job.
If you’re remodeling or refurbishing a room, there must be paintings from the earlier phases on the surfaces. If you don’t sand them off with sandpaper or so, the newer paint is not going to look new anymore.
If the previous paint is a glossy type, you’re going to regret the mistake even more!
What is the best paint masking tape?
The answer varies from purpose to purpose. If it’s a usual remodeling or makeover chore, Scotch Painter’s Tape 2090-48EVP is the best painters tape for trim from our viewpoint.
Does painters tape leave a residue?
If the adhesiveness is good enough, painters tape don’t leave a residue. The peeling should be perfect in this regard as well.
Is masking tape the same as painters tape?
Nope. In terms of stickiness, adhesiveness, and color, there are a number of differences between these two.
When to peel off painters tape?
When the paint is dry enough to not come off with touches of fingertips, you can take off the painter’s tape. However, in terms of days, painters tapes can be unaffected up to 14 days.
Well, that had been all about the best painters tape reviews of the market. Given the choices and the buyer’s guide on top of them, we hope you’ve found the right painters tape for your upcoming projects.